2/22 Yoga Therapy Foundations, Practice and Public Health Course
February 22, 2019 @ 6:00 pm - 9:15 pm$695
Yoga Therapy Foundations, Practice and Public Health
This course explores the various factors that influence health at the macro-level using a public health lens, while at the same time, exploring the inner world of the human being using Yoga models to identify and treat imbalances.
Class lectures provide an introduction to the primary yoga therapy assessment models based upon the teachings of the Yoga Sutras and the lineage of T. Krishnamacharya. Students will learn how to use these models to assess client imbalances, identify contraindications and implement appropriate tools based on client assessments. You will learn broad strokes yoga therapy practices for conditions that include: low back ailments, heart disease, respiratory/energetic imbalances, addiction, obesity/digestive ailments and relationship issues.
After understanding current disease trends and behavioral risk factors, we seek to remedy these conditions with the myriad of tools and practices that yoga has to offer. In fact, Yoga addresses the underlying causes of chronic conditions and provides a time-tested holistic healing system with the sole purpose of creating a clear, stable, rational mind that will make good choices. Thus Yoga provides the sound methodology that our current public health educators lack to empower the individual with tools to change and sustain positive health behaviors.
In addition, this course weaves in an invaluable public health perspective to empower yoga therapists with language to advocate for yoga therapy services within health systems. Trainees will gain knowledge of the risk factors that influence health behaviors and how yoga therapy intervention programs can be applied to improve health outcomes for specific conditions. Trainees will also learn how to develop, implement and evaluate group yoga therapy programs for specific populations or health conditions.
Please call the studio to pre-register (714) 417-9834 or email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
Course Tuition: $695 or included in 300hr auto-pay
Katie Allen, MPH, C-IAYT, E-RYT 500
This course is led by Katie Allen. She co-founded Be The Change Yoga and is the School Director for the 300-hour Teacher Training Program and 850-hour Yoga Therapist Training. She received her Master’s degree in Public Health from Tulane University and wrote her thesis on Yoga’s Ability to Prevent and Treat Chronic Diseases.
Since then, her mission is to use her public health lens as a means of advancing the field of Yoga Therapy. She develops yoga therapy program for hospitals, health systems and founded AlcheMe Yoga Therapy, a professional yoga therapy organization consisting of education, research, program implementation and job creation.
2019 / 2020 Course Dates:
- Month 1: 2/22/19, 6:00-9:30pm – The Human Condition from a Yoga Perspective
- Month 2: 3/22/19, 6:00-9:30pm – Intro to Yoga Philosophy: How to Alleviate Suffering
- Month 3: 4/26/19, 6:00-9:30pm – The Human Condition from a Public Health Perspective
- Month 4: 5/31/19, 6:00-9:30pm – How Yoga Therapy Works + Assessment Models
- Month 5: 7/19/19, 6:00-9:30pm – The Pathology of Poverty, Vulnerable Populations
- Month 6: 8/23/19, 6:00-9:30pm – The Spine: physical imbalances (strained low back muscles, herniated discs, sciatica) and the Abdomen, Digestion and Obesity: physical / mental / emotional / energetic factors and treatment tools
- Month 7: 9/27/19, 6:00-9:30pm – The Heart and The Lungs physical / mental / emotional imbalances
- Month 8:10/25/19, 6:00-9:30pm – The Yoga of Relationships
- Month 9: 11/15/19, 6:00-9:30pm – Anxiety and Depression: physical / mental / emotional / energetic factors and treatment tools. Final Exam Review.
- Month 10: 1/24/20 – Final Presentations and Exam