Virtual + In-studio Yoga Therapist Training!
Next Training Begins August 26th, 2023!
This program is for Yoga Teachers who are currently enrolled or have completed a 300 hour Yoga Alliance certified Teacher Training who seek to develop an integrative health career as a yoga therapist!
Join our next Info Meeting!
- Tuesday, 6/6/23 6:00 pm PST Zoom
- Tuesday, 8/1/23 6:00 pm PST Zoom
100% Online Option
We are excited to announce a virtual training option for students living outside Orange County, CA.
Levels 2/3 meet one weekend per month
Monthly autopay includes Be The Change studio membership (in-person as well as virtual studio).
Learn to build your own yoga therapy business with remote supervision from practicum mentor.
5 Program Directors
With five Program Directors with varying credentials, backgrounds and skill sets, we provide a solid, well-rounded, and consistent foundation for our students.
Our program is rooted in the philosophical foundations of the yoga sutras, coupled with a modern public health perspective.
Concurrent Training Option!
If you haven’t completed a 300hr training yet, dedicated students can now take Levels 1 and 2 of our Yoga Therapist Training concurrently! Two full weekends per month for year 1 and one weekend per month for year 2 and beyond.
- $600 Level 1 registration fee in February
- Level 1: $257 per month autopay for first 11 months (23% OFF TUITION)
- $600 Level 2 registration fee in August
- Level 2: $300 per month for 28 months (15% OFF TUITION)
Over $2500 in Tuition Savings for Levels 1-3 in 2023!
We are excited to announce a virtual training option for students living outside Orange County, CA. Check out our new monthly schedule! Levels 2/3 meet one weekend per month.
Weekend Intensive Schedule
- Saturday: 8:00 – 11:00 am PST Zoom
- Saturday: 12:30 – 12:30 – 5:30 pm PST Zoom
- Sunday: 12:30 – 5:30 pm PST Zoom
Two weeks later
- Sunday: 9:00 – 11:00 am PST Zoom (L2) and 9:00 – 12:00 pm PST Zoom (L3)
3-7 hours of additional asynchronous coursework per month
- Level 1 Training: 270 hours
- Levels 2/3 Training: 400 hours
Practicum: 180 hours
Total Program Hours: 850 hours
- Asynchronous Distance Learning Hours: 89 hours
- Residential Synchronous Hours (Zoom): 275 hours
Residential Synchronous Hours (Zoom or In-Person): 306 hours
Practicum: 180 hours
Total Program Hours: 850 hours
Meet our Faculty
From Our Graduates
We take great pride in not only training highly skilled yoga therapists but building a life-long, supportive community to advance their integrative medicine careers!
“This training is so much more than just finding a new career, AlcheMe Yoga Therapy training gave me the tools to find my purpose in life. Living in alignment with my purpose and having the confidence to work one-on-one in a clinical setting or privately with individual clients has given me the freedom live my dreams instead of wish for them. As a yoga teacher for many years, I can now break free from fitness yoga, truly meet each individual where they are, and guide them toward the life of their dreams.”
“Looking back on my time in AlcheMe’s yoga therapy course it’s almost difficult to believe just how much material was covered by such a diverse range of experienced, passionate healthcare professionals and yoga therapists. To say this course gives you a solid foundation would be a huge understatement and I graduated with a wealth of new skills and knowledge, ready to take my place in this exciting, emerging field. The practicum was an excellent opportunity to start to implement these skills and find my true voice as a yoga therapist with the seemingly infinite and thorough support of my teachers and peers.”
“I learned a great deal in this yoga therapy program and it helped me grow tremendously as a teacher. Even though I had been teaching yoga for almost 15 years, I never felt confident teaching students one on one. Through this program I found my confidence in teaching students privately and found how powerful and effective those individual sessions can be.”
“Yoga is the ability to do something tomorrow that we cannot do today,’ Yoga Therapy training not only showed me this, but provided me the tools to share with others so they may achieve their goals. Amazing to experience, and amazing to share and witness the transformation in people’s lives.”
“The knowledge and practices I learned in AlcheMe Yoga Therapy has reshaped the landscape of how I live and lead my life. Since enrolling in the program 2 years ago, I’ve noticed a tremendous change in how I communicate with others – primarily in the area of self-care and stress management. Looking back at where I started, I am a truer person to myself. The plethora of tools introduced to us strengthened my ability to discern, how to stay calm under stress, and how to combat dips in energy experienced from anxiety and insomnia. Thank you to all the wonderful faculty who joyfully and lovingly share the wisdom of Yoga. “
26 Month Unlimited Yoga Membership
Yoga therapist training students receive a complimentary yoga membership while enrolled throughout the duration of our training programs.
Level 1 Training begins
Level 2 Training begins
Level 3 Training begins
Our Professional Yoga Therapist Training Program is designed to train Yoga teachers to skillfully work with clients one-on-one with specific health conditions. They will gain the knowledge to assess their clients with standardized assessment models and develop customized treatment plans to support their clients in achieving their personal goals and improving overall wellbeing. Yoga Therapists who graduate from our program will gain the skills to develop a professional practice and work in various health care settings such as clinics, treatment centers, rehabilitation facilities or wellness centers. Our aim is to train yoga therapists to work alongside doctors, social workers, chiropractors, acupuncturists and other healthcare providers; building confidence to work with clients of all backgrounds and health conditions. A Yoga Therapist receives the highest level of credentialing in the field of Yoga.
Our 850-hour Yoga Therapist Training Program is divided into 3 levels over a 3.5 year period.
- Level 1 February of Year 1 – December of Year 1: Foundational Courses for Yoga Therapy
Together Level 1 courses comprise a 300 hour training registered with Yoga Alliance
- Level 2.0 August of Year 1 – December of Year 1 – Yoga Therapy Orientation and Foundations
- Level 2.1 January of Year 2 – June of Year 2: Yoga Therapy for Musculoskeletal Ailments
- Level 2.2 July of Year 2 – December of Year 2: Yoga Therapy for the Energetic Body
- Level 3.1 February of Year 3 – June of Year 3: Yoga Therapy for the Mental / Emotional / Spiritual Bodies
- Level 3.2 August of Year 3 – October of Year 3: Integrative Medicine and Special Populations
- Practicum: February of Year 3 – April of Year 4: Practicum
- Graduation: April of Year 4
– Dr. Eden Goldman
Level 1 Courses
Trainees will start with the Level 1 Courses in February; which comprise the foundation of the Yoga Therapist Training and then join the Level 2 Orientation and Foundations Course in the same year in August for a 4-month overlap.
Level 1 courses are made up of 15 full (15-hour) weekends (225 synchronous hours), as well as three asynchronous courses (45 hours), taken over a 11 month period.
Level 1 of our program consists of four courses: Yoga Therapy Tools and Therapeutic Skills, Philosophical Foundations of Yoga Therapy, Yoga Therapy Foundations for the Physical Body and Yoga Therapy Foundations for the Subtle Bodies. To receive the RYT500 Certification participants must complete all the necessary hours within a 2-year period, as well as all required assignments.
The yoga therapy component within our Level 1 / 300hr Teacher Training Program courses, classes, instructions, and materials is derived from the Educational Standards of the International Association of Yoga Therapists, and is not derived from any status granted by the Yoga Alliance Registry.
Yoga therapist trainees must enroll in Level 1 Courses during their first year and if trainee has demonstrated mastery of the material, they will be eligible for enrollment in Levels 2 and 3, a 550 hour program that starts every August.
Together all the Level 1 courses are the equivalent of an RYT 500.
Yoga Therapy Tools and
for Yoga Therapy
Yoga Therapy Foundations
for the Physical Body
Yoga Therapy Foundations
for the Subtle Bodies
Level 2 Courses
Level 2 begins every year in August and includes the next 12 months of yoga therapy courses; which focus on the musculoskeletal body and energetic body. These courses meet one weekend per month, as well as one Monday night per month. Trainees must have started all the Level 1 courses and demonstrated competencies in the material to be considered for advancement into Level 2 of the training. We recommend that interested trainees schedule a meeting with our Program Director, Katie Allen to assess readiness to matriculate into the next level of training. Please contact Katie@bethechangeyoga.com.
YOGA THERAPY ORIENTATION & FOUNDATIONS 1-5
We’ve developed a seamless program to move sustainably from Level 1 / 300hr YTT into our Level 2 Yoga Therapist Training Program. Level 1 students can now take the Level 2 Orientation and Foundations program concurrently from August through December, adding on 15 hours of synchronous coursework with five 3-hour Saturday morning classes and 15 hours of an asynchronous anatomy course to best prepare for Level 2 Coursework.
MUSCULOSKELETAL AILMENTS: MONTHS 6-11
In this module, program participants will learn to work effectively with clients with specific musculoskeletal issues such as: herniated discs, sciatica, strained low back muscles, spinal stenosis, arthritis as well as hip, shoulder and general joint issues. Trainees will learn to conduct client intake and physical assessments for common musculoskeletal ailments. In addition, trainees will learn clinical documentation, ethics, yoga therapy scope of practice, and professional practices.
YOGA THERAPY FOR THE ENERGETIC BODY: MONTHS 12-17
This module focuses on the energetic body; which includes anatomy of the respiratory, digestive, circulatory, endocrine and nervous systems. It includes common ailments of each system and strategies for therapeutic treatment. In addition, this module includes assessment tools and practices for autoimmune conditions, neurological disorders, cancer care and chronic pain.
Level 3 Courses
Level 3 is a natural extension of Level 2 and commences with Month 14 of the Level 2 module. These courses focus on the mental / emotional bodies, integrative medicine and working with special populations. These courses meet one full weekend per month, as well as one Monday night per month. Trainees must have completed their coursework from Level 2 and passed their midterm to advance to Level 3. Trainees begin the Practicum portion during Levels 2/3 of the training.
YOGA THERAPY FOR THE MENTAL / EMOTIONAL BODIES: MONTHS 19-23
This module focuses on the mental / emotional body, evaluating and understanding the multi-dimensional nature of the human mind. Course content will explore the underlying, correlating factors and side effects of conditions such as depression, anxiety, addiction and trauma, as well as how to assess and treat such conditions with yogic practices. This module includes 6-week group yoga therapy programs to be implemented within universities and treatment centers. Module 3 also begins the Integrative Medicine component of the training, bringing in experts from the field of chiropractic, midwifery, fertility and allopathic medicine. These experts will discuss their unique perspectives on health and healing, as well as identify opportunities to build collaborative relationships with yoga therapists.
INTEGRATIVE MEDICINE AND SPECIAL POPULATIONS: MONTHS 24-27
Module 4 of this training focuses on working with specific populations, including: adolescents, clients with disabilities, geriatric clients, active seniors, family members and caregivers as well as clients receiving hospice care. In addition, this module includes a 6-week Yoga Therapy + Lifestyle Medicine course to prevent and treat chronic diseases, which participants can implement in hospitals or wellness centers.
With regards to Integrative Medicine, this module provides specific training to build collaborative relationships with social workers and allopathic doctors. The final component of this module focuses on the many aspects of becoming a health and wellness coach, as well as how to build a thriving yoga therapy business.
PRACTICUM: MONTHS 18 – 33
Trainees will conduct their 205 practicum hours during the Level 3 program. We have extended the duration of our training to provide more time for our trainees to complete their practicum. They now have 15 months to complete 150 hours of yoga therapy delivery from February of Year 3 to April of Year 4. The goal is to have all practicum hours completed before graduation in April.
Level 2/3 Course Structure
Levels 2/3 of the training meets one weekend per month for 24 months. Saturday 8:00-11:00am PST (Zoom), Saturday 12:30-5:30pm PST (Zoom or In Person) and Sunday 12:30-5:30pm PST (Zoom or In Person). These classes are Yoga Therapy Weekend Intensives.
Small Group Mentorship
Levels 2/3 of the training also include one Sunday morning mentorship per month from 9:00-11:00am PST or 9:00-12:00pm PST during practicum for Small Group Mentorship meetings. Trainees will review and clarify course material and go over case studies. There are a total of 20 meetings.
Trainees are required to complete 205 hours of practicum. These hours will consist mostly of one-on-one sessions but can also include 6-week small group yoga therapy programs for students with shared specific health conditions.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the program pre-requisites?
The Applicant must:
1. Be at least 18 years of age;
2. Have a high school diploma or equivalent;
3. Have a 200-hour yoga teaching certificate from a Yoga Alliance registered school;
4. Have at least one (1) year of teaching experience;
5. Have at least one (1) year of personal practice.
To be eligible for enrollment in Level 2 courses, the Applicant must:
1. Complete a 300hr YTT or
2. Complete all Foundational Level 1 / 300hr YTT courses at Be The Change from February – July;
3. Demonstrate competencies in the material;
4. And passed all Level 1 course assessments with an 80% or higher.
The Applicant must:
1. Complete the On-line Application;
2. Submit a Personal Statement;
3. Provide two (2) letters of recommendation- one (1) professional and one (1) personal;
4. Provide a copy of the 200 hour Yoga Teacher Training Certificate
5. If accepted, there is a $600.00 registration fee to confirm placement in the program.
What if I have not completed a 300hr Training?
Trainee must enroll in Be The Change Yoga’s 300hr Yoga Training first before moving on to the Level 2 Yoga Therapist Training or if approved, may take the 300hr / Level 1 courses concurrently with Level 2/3 courses. Our 300hr training makes up Level 1 of our Yoga Therapist Training. The 300hr courses can are taken over a 11 month period. New courses will begin every February.
What if I have completed a 300hr Training?
Trainees who have completed a 300hr Yoga Alliance registered training are eligible to begin Level 2 training; which begins every August. In advance of the admissions process, a transcript evaluation will be conducted with a Program Director to determine the number of transfer hours that directly relate to yoga therapy core competencies.
Per IAYT standards, AlcheMē will accept up to 150 transfer hours from Yoga Alliance registered 300hr Yoga Teacher Training Programs and up to 300 hours from IAYT registered Yoga Therapist Training Programs. All transfer students must complete the foundational Bridge Program; which consists of Yoga Therapy Foundations, Practice and Public Health Course, as well as The Yoga Sutras Course. These classes can be taken with a pre-recorded option or synchronously with the next Level 1 cohort with zoom or in-studio options. Other classes may be added to the bridge program based upon content from previous trainings.
How are the hours broken down?
Level 1 Training: 270 hours
Levels 2/3 Training: 368 hours
Practicum: 212 hours
Total Program Hours: 850 hours
Asynchronous Distance Learning Hours: 71 hours
Residential Synchronous Hours (Zoom): 263 hours
Residential Synchronous Hours (Zoom or In-Person): 304 hours
Practicum: 212 hours
Total Program Hours: 850 hours
How much does the training cost?
We have developed a monthly auto-pay plan to make tuition more affordable and easier to manage. Tuition includes studio membership at Be The Change Yoga for duration of the training.
Level 1 Tuition
Trainees will complete the Level 1 application and once accepted into the program, will submit a $600 registration fee. Once the Level 1 courses start in February, trainees will be enrolled in our auto-pay program at $257 per month for 11 months. All Level 1 trainees must submit an application for Level 2.
Level 2 Tuition
Upon submission of Level 2 application, a non-refundable $600 registration fee is due. The remaining balance can be paid at $300 a month using our auto-pay program for 28 months.
Levels 1/2 Concurrent Option
Trainees taking the concurrent option receive tuition savings of $2500. Starting with Level 1 coursework in February, their autopay will be $257 per month for the 11 month duration of Level 1 coursework.
They will then pay another $600 registration fee for Level 2 to cover the L2 Orientation and Foundations Program.
They will begin their Level 2 autopay in January at $300 per month for 28 months.
Levels 1-3 total tuition: $12,426.50 (over 3.3 years, plus +/- $300 book fees).
We offer 1-2 partial scholarships per year for trainees working in under-served or BIPOC communities.
- Our auto-pay program includes a one-time $600 non-refundable registration fee and a $345 per month commitment for 26 months on autopay totaling $9,570
- Trainee will receive a full refund (minus the registration fee) if they withdraws from the training at least 3 days before taking any 300hr classes by notifying Be The Change Yoga in writing.
- If trainee chooses to withdraw from the training after the initial start date, they can cancel the monthly auto-pay program. Any tuition paid once classes have been taken is non-refundable.
- Any unused tuition will remain on trainee’s account for future trainings at then current, a la carte rate, minus a $200 administrative fee.
- If trainee withdraws from the autopay program and seeks to re-enroll for 850hr certification at a later date, a $200 administrative fee will be required. Trainee will resume autopay at the then current price.
- If trainee continues enrollment in the auto-pay program but is unable to attend all courses during the 26-month period; they can complete the 26-month autopay program and apply the funds towards future 850hr YTT classes and complete the coursework at a later date.
- The 850hr Yoga Teacher Training program must be completed within a 3.3 year period
What is the time commitment?
Level 1 of our training consists of:
- One full weekend per month for 15 weekends over a 11-month period.
- Friday 5:00-8:15pm PST
- Saturday 12:30-6:30pm PST
- Sunday 12:30-6:15pm PST
Levels 2/3 of our Yoga Therapist Training consists of:
- One full weekend per month for 21 weekends over a 33-month period
- Saturday 8:00-11:00am PST Zoom
- Saturday: 12:30 – 5:30 pm PST Zoom or In Person
- Sunday 12:30-5:30pm PST (Zoom or In Person)
- One Sunday morning per month of Small Group Mentorship; which meets from 9:00-11:00am (L2) and 9:00-12:00pm (L3) conducted virtually via Zoom.
- 3-7 hours of asynchronous coursework per month
There will be 3-5 hours per month of reading and homework.
What if I miss a Yoga Therapist Training class?
There are a few options for class make ups.
• Trainees are allowed to miss one small group mentorship session without making it up.
• If a trainee is absent for a Yoga Therapy weekend intensive, he / she can make them up the next year at no additional cost or schedule a make-up session with a mentor (at the hourly rate of the mentor – $55 an hour or $35 an hour for a group of 2 or more).
• If a trainee misses 2 weekend intensives in a row, the classes will have to be made up by scheduling a make-up session with a mentor prior to continuing the program.
• To receive certification, trainees can make-up a maximum of 2 weekend intensives per year
How do I apply?
Please fill out the application form CLICK HERE and email Katie@bethechangeyoga.com after submission. In addition, submit your two letters of recommendation (1 personal and 1 professional) using the following Letters of Recommendation Link. We will review your materials and reply in 1-2 weeks. Upon acceptance into the program, you can pay the $600 registration fee. Tuition for month 1 will be due on the first day of class, as trainees become enrolled in the monthly autopay program.